Friday, February 11, 2011

Reality...

Sometimes I wish that growing up I had a better idea of reality. I lived in la-la land for way too long. In college I had several store credit cards like Express and American Eagle and had no idea you had to make payments every month. I thought it was just an option and as long as you still had credit available you were good... You just needed to make a payment when you needed to charge more stuff. Wrong. So wrong. So very wrong that my credit score is just now to a number that isn't completely embarrassing. You live, you learn.
I also wish that my Barbies had come in different stages as a kid. Like, the Barbie that we all had was your college and pre-pregnancy Barbie. Then, once Barbie had a baby there was a little attachment for her waist and chin (those are the two places I've had the hardest time accepting ever since Eli was born). Barbie would throw away those hot pink stilettos and start rocking flip flops and Reebok Easy Tones. She would have to get rid of the Corvette and start driving the Jeep. Ken would trade in his ascot and Speedo for a pair of khaki cargo shorts and an old college tee to remind him of his glory days. The dream house would need a new roof and the toilet wouldn't stop running.
I guess that is what makes childhood so magical. The idea that you would always have everything go your way and every morning you wake up next to Ken and looking like our girl Barb. Bills magically get paid and you only work for the fun things you want to buy. Lingerie doesn't itch and babies always sleep in their own bed. You can stay up until 3 am and sleep until noon. There is always milk in the fridge and mom still cooks you supper...

3 comments:

DustyandBrooke said...

I love this post! I was so spoiled, too...never had to worry about a thing! I'm glad you haven't gone private yet - I forgot to send you my email address!

Nancy Hood said...

This is too cute and too true not to share! I'd like to bring you over to my blog tomorrow and let you host! I'll write an introduction and bring your words to my readers? I had to smile reading this as I remember feeling that way after Jenny was born. AND now, looking passing a mirror, I wonder who that lady is.

Ashley said...

LOVE this! I guess if we knew what life would ultimately turn out like our childhood fantasies wouldn't be so magical! That's one of the things I love most about being a parent...I get to experience all of that magic again through the eyes of my babies! :)