Thursday, September 5, 2013

"Art"

I can remember being young, maybe not even 10, and having art contests with my sister.  We would sit in our room and draw under a time limit we agreed upon. We would not put our names on the paper, and we would swap pages. We would take them to our parents and have them judge our creations. A time in particular I remember drawing a flower. Just a flower. No grass, no sun, clouds, bees buzzing around. I can only imagine it was the circle center flower with other circles around it for petals. My sister drew something similar to Andrew's drawing below. Lots of colors, balloons and a cloud in the sky. She said it was a parade. It was pretty abstract as far as I can remember, I mean she was only 6,7... But, we took our unnamed  artwork out to our parents (to insure there was no favoritism) and were immediately given an answer. A winner. Uuum!?! They didn't even want to think about it!? I mean, wow. I am sure you can guess who won. 
Haha. I remember being so upset.
 And while I was SO impressed by Eli's turtle and sun, (Truly, I had no idea he could draw something like that) Andrew was SO proud of his page. I asked a couple times what it was. He said fish one time, Lightning McQueen another, and puppy another. I'm so thankful for the little (big) brains in their heads and the way they see the world.  The thoughts that come out of their mouths and their ideas about the way things should be/are. While my life is so far from perfect, and my kids are naughty more than nice most days, I'm so happy for these little things that make the hard/bad/discouraging/lonely/sometimes ugly times as a stay-at-home mom  bearable. 

0 comments: