Sunday, January 30, 2011

Church... and babies

Ah, ok. This morning we actually made it to church on base. I can't lie, we have not been so good at church going since we've been here. Mostly we've blamed having a baby, but really... who does that? TONS of people go to church with their babies. But I think my big thing is, if I was at church "back home," I would know who was in the nursery or children's church with Eli. I just can't bring myself to dropping him off in a room with complete strangers who may not give my child their undivided attention and keep him from sticking crayons up his nose/down his throat. But, I am sure that whoever is taking care of the babies and small children is very well qualified... I just have a hard time with it.
Well, this morning we went to church like I mentioned a moment ago. While we were at home for the holidays Eli enjoyed the singing portion of church and then settled in for his nap. Since Eli didn't nap this morning, I was sure he would take it during church. Wrong. Wrong. Oh, so wrong. The service we went to was short of volunteers for baby church so Eli, of course, stayed with us. Oh, he screamed a couple times. Busted his noggin' on the pew and then cried. Flirted with the lady behind us and did numerous other things to draw attention to us. Actually, I thought about it and now I probably feel comfortable dropping Eli off in the nursery or baby church.
The singing was nice, the ladies of the choir (I guess you would call it that) sang a bit too high for me though... Not that I am a great singer anyway. Eli sang along and pushed his lips out with every "word" he sang. We should just attend an all singing church. That would keep him occupied! The sermon (what I heard of it) was very good. But never in my life had I prayed so hard for an hour to pass just a lil bit faster. And it seems like every time I did hear some of the sermon, it was something he had already said. I believe this preacher was stretching a 25 minute sermon into an hour long one. Fortunately, we made it out alive without too many glances and little did I know the fun was just about to begin. Putting Eli into his car seat is something you would just have to experience. He doesn't always do this. Usually just when we are leaving somewhere to go home. Never vice versa. It was like wrestling an alligator. His body was stiff as a board and the wind kept blowing my dress up. He was screaming and scratching... fighting with all of his tiny might.
As we pulled of base I turned around to check on him and he was wearing his sweet little angel face and sleeping sweet slumber that had escaped him all morning long. I carefully pulled him from the car and placed him on the couch, gently removing his coat and shoes. He slept for about 2 hours. Praise God.

1 comments:

Nancy Hood said...

Church services never ever go along with a baby's nap and eating times :/ Do not worry about making worship services. Just worship the Lord where you are :)